Thursday, May 10, 2007

My New Place

It was once joked that friends help you move but real friends help you move bodies. Well what kind of qualifier can you place on friends who open their home to you for 5 weeks before you leave for the Peace Corps? For once, I find myself without an appropriate superlative. Meet my friends Joel and Maura and their adorable kids Mollie (brown hair), and interestingly, Georgia!
I've known Joel and Maura since 2000. They lived just two doors down from me and my ex and we immediately hit it off. Joel has few failings other than being a Yankee fan. When we were neighbors, Joel was the only guy with which I could talk sports with and be an east-coaster amongst the "true" Portlanders. My other neighbors were great but lacked the "directness" I require from my friends. With Joel, you always know where you stand. It must be his New York City upbringing! Joel has sucessfully bridged the seemingly disparate worlds of NYC with Portland. Climbing Mt. Hood one day and watching the market the next.
Maura is always doing arts and crafts (although she claims NOT to be crafty however) and has one of my all-time favorite laughs. I have watched Georgia and Mollie grow up and it is so good to see them more often once again.
So as I settle into my basement apartment I am truly happy to have folks to talk with every morning and having a chat and a laugh every evening. I know that I can never repay them appropriately (I tried offering a kidney but they are different blood types) and I will always reserve a place in my heart for my best friends in Portland!
Gotta run,
Maura's home and I have to try to make her laugh! Plus I'm cooking dinner tonight..roast chicken (Sue knows how good it is) YUMM!
All the best,
John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home