Friday, February 09, 2007

What a nice community

Hey all,
I continue to learn more and more about my upcoming journey. Many thanks to some of the G6's who have taken time out of their day to communicate with a total stranger. One even informed me that the Georgian alphabet is an old version that they don't use any more (good to know).
I continue to gaze at my apartment and wonder,"What the hell am I gonna do with this stuff?!" I'll most likely sell as much of the big stuff as I can. I must say that because I am going to Georgia it makes telling people a 3 minute conversation. No, not the state...the Peace Corps does NOT send people to the deep south to teach them english! Reconstruction ended in 1877. So then, they say, "where's that Georgia?". I say, "In the Caucuses." They say, "where?", I say, "between the Black and Caspian Seas" and they say, "where?!), so I say, " south of Russia and North of Turkey." They say....ohhh, OK! But I really think they have no idea and have just tired of this geographic game. I'm thinking of laminating a pocket-sized map and carrying it around with me. Visual aids are so cool!
School is quite maddening right now, what with the new semester and all, but getting better(smoother) every day. I'm teaching two new classes (giving me five total) and one of them is chock full of middle schoolers. They are......quite spirited, to say the least. It's cool though because I'm getting to try out some new management techniques. The super-dark days of winter are behind us here in PDX and spring (with lots of heavy rain) is just around the corner. Well...I should grade these tests.....
All the Best,
John

1 Comments:

Blogger Monica Ann said...

Hi John! I feel a tad stalker like but I foudn you through the Peace Corps Journals site and am just excited to find one more person going to Georgia- will you be doing TEFL then or NGO? I will be doing NGO- drop me a line sometime, mas819@hotmail.com

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home