Monday, June 19, 2006

School's Out!

Hey all,
Well before I knew it, my backpack was getting lighter and lighter and the school year came to a close last Thursday. I worked on student evaluations over the weekend and have confrences tomorrow and then it's adios for the summer! This year was particularly draining for the entire staff. I've always noticed that those who bitch about teachers getting the summer off have absolutely no clue how mentally and emotionally exhausting our work is. They just see the schedule. I mean, its not like we're doing anything important (insert heavy sarcasim here)

Things with the PC (Peace Corps) are progressing so I thought I'd give a timeline below to show the process so far:

April 4th--I found out that they did not find a match for my Fulbright Teacher Exchange. I was accepted but there are always more US applicants than overseas slots. I knew it was a longshot so I wasn't too bummed.

April 10th-- I began to investigate the PC seriously after talking with my friend Greg, a RPCV (returned PC volunteer). Over the next week I do hours of research and alot of meditation on the subject. I speak with my boss about it and she thinks its a great idea. Becky's always so supportive. She's the best boss I've ever had and I've had quite a few!

Apirl--21st--After sending in my application and some extra forms regarding my divorce (I guess they want to know if I'm fleeing the country :) I get a phone intervew for the 27th

April 27th-- I have a phone interview and it goes pretty well. My recruiter was (and is) extremely helpful. One of the more amusing things about this process is the classic answer, "Well, that depends..." to many of my questions. Because the PC sends vols to many different countries with many different climates, cultures, and infrastructures, there is really no standard answer for life in country. It's like a bunch of christmas presents under the tree, you have to wait and see, but you know it'll be exciting.

May 9th--I have my second interview and we discuss regions and jobs. I choose teaching in Eastern Europe/Central Asia. My recruiter says she will nominate me for a position. Hooray!

May 12th--I recieve word that I can't be nominated for a June 2007 departure until June 2006. That means I'm in a holding pattern for awhile. No matter, school's quite maddening at this time, so it keeps me occupied and busy.

June 3rd--I recieve word that I have been nominated for a position in EE (Eastern Europe). Think any country that ends in "-ia" plus Moldova or Ukraine. Now it's the long haul of medical and dental clearance. I'm not sure why some complain about the application process. While there are alot of hoops and paperwork, so far it has been pretty painless. Maybe it's cause I was in the military and was doing "hurry up and wait" when some other prospective volunteers were riding tricycles.

June 15th--My medical kit has been sent to me. When it arrives, I have to make lots of appointments to get (in Arlo Guthrie's words) " get injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected." I just had a physical last year so I think everything's good. We'll see.

That brings us up to now so I'll upload this puppy and keep you posted.
All the Best,
John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home