Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Learn Georgian in your spare time!

Howdy all or as they say in Georgia: Gamarjoba!
I have been doing lots of paperwork since my invitee packet arrived. The PC has provided some very cool mp3 files of basic Georgian so I can listen and learn. I have to figure out how to download them onto my player so I can walk down the street mumbling this strange and interesting language. It is all starting to sink in right now and it is a little trippy, to say the least. I'm scheduled to leave 2 days before school ends so I will be cramming year-end conferences and grading into those last few days in the states! Should be a blast. Well just a quick note. Gotta get back to work.
John

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey John,

Way to get a Georgia invitation! A word about the language: first off, I completely don't recommend trying to learn any of the language before you get here, other than some "gamarjoba" (hello), "madloba" (thank you), and "kargad" (goodbye). It's unduly stressful, and as a G5 volunteer told me, it's better to spend your last bits of time with your friends and family rather than studying so hard and ending up learning the same amount of Georgian that you'll learn in your first class. Just relax, and let the Georgians teach you themselves. If you like, some people found learning the alphabet to be helpful... there should be info on that somewhere in Peace Corps documents... but I didn't feel like it, and my Georgian's going pretty well.

Note to you: there's a picture of the old Georgian alphabet on your blog. Don't learn that!! That's completely out of usage, like 100s of years out of usage.

Also, more Peace Corps info from volunteers in Georgia can be found in our Yahoo! group. Just go to yahoo.com and click on groups, then search for Peace Corps Georgia. Lots of FAQs and databases and stuff.

Kargad!

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home