Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Disturbing Trend

Hey all,
This post may seem pretty random but I have been noticing this phenom alot lately and just had to write about it. Here in Stumptown we have alot, and I mean ALOT, of wi-fi availible at public places. Now this is all well and good but the other day I was walking down Hawthorne Blvd and I glanced in the window of a coffee shop and this is what I saw:
A couple with their baby (in a stroller) sitting at a table. OK so far. But both adults had laptops and cell phones out and powered up, staring blindly into their screens! Upon further investigation I counted at least 3 more laptop-using customers.
Now I am a fan of technology but damn!..whatever happened to talking at a cafe? It is as if we continue to isolate ourselves from our communities and at a point in time where we really need open and honest communication with our fellow humans, many choose to sequester themselves in their own little electronic world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm posting this via wi-fi, but I am at home alone. When I go out to public spaces it is for the purpose of interacting with other humans. So folks, please power down and have a chat..the internet will still be there when you get home but you may miss out on a potential new friend!
All the Best,
John

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy G. said...

AMEN! I couldn't agree with you more, Brother John. --ksg

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home