Monday, September 03, 2007

Ruins and Ruination

Eager volunteers waiting to see ancient history
The staircase to the outer walls (there were 3--defense in depth)
The baths--the small cylinders formed a space for hot air from fires were used to heat the floors and water--1700 year old radiant heat!
The carved tunnel that leads to the river and Allison--at least 1400 years old--the tunnel, not Allison (though she did just have a birthday!)
Some of our wine that tried to float downstream....I expertly retrieved it and saved the picnic!!
Hey all, Yesterday a bunch of us went to a place called nokhalikevi--the ancient capital of the western Georgian kingdom of Kholketi--Colchis to the Greeks. The earliest ruins are dated at 3500 years ago and the city continued to grow until it was taken by the arabs in the 7th century AD. I have been to the pyramids and to the sites of Rome but I am always amazed whenever I can touch history. My friends were not as giddy as I and I am sure I provided some amusement for them as I spoke of building techniques of walls and baths...Just remember PCCS students, you're getting off light since I'm here and you don't have to suffer through my classes!! After exploring the ruins at length we headed down to the river and had wine, bread, cheese, and fresh hazelnuts and swam in the river for hours. At a particularly introspective moment, Johanna said, "just think, people have been peeing in this river for almost 4000 years!" God I love my friends!!
I sincerely hope all is well back in the states--I see the Indians are in command...this could be our year!!
Also, if anyone is planning on sending a care package anytime soon--(hint-hint) I could use some beef jerky, black beans, hot sauce, seasoning packets for mexican food, maker's mark bourbon,pacific NW micro-brews, orregano (they don't have it here and I want to make pasta!), old DVD's (simpsons, south park, seinfeld) are acute cravings of late. I have been told by the G6 group to be shameless when asking for packages, so off I go, groveling to the land of the big PX!
Til next time,
All the Best,
John

3 Comments:

Blogger RELa said...

Actually, everyone is missing your straight history classes. Now that Becky has taken Robin under her wing, its ALL humanities! Blech.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Soccerboy12 said...

Yees its true, we are all missing your "History of _____" classes. And dont worry WE are working on the Peanut butter and jerky.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Worm said...

If an address for you were to somehow turn up, I may perhaps be able to produce a Simpsons season 1 or 2 box set for you, should you require.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home