Saturday, April 12, 2008

Where the hell am I?

Is this Portland or Tbilisi??



Hey all,



One of the things interesting about being in Georgia was the fashion sense of Georgians. Now, black is ALWAYS in fashion there but one thing I noticed during the winter was the prevalence of short parkas with fur around the hood and black, knee high boots (usually with impossible heels). While I became accustomed to it, a winter's day in Tbilisi reminded me more of a Cher video than a stroll in an ancient capital city.

So imagine my suprise upon returning to Portland, a city NOT known for its haute couture , to see on almost every street downtown, women walking around in short furry hooded parkas and knee high boots. Perhaps this attire is not as ubiquitous as I think and I am just noticing a look that had become familiar to me. Or has there been some sort of tear in the fabric of space which allows these strange occurances? Who knows? While knee high lether boots definitely have a place in any society, I can't figure the furry parkas...I mean what look are they going for? Ernest Shakelton? Well, at least guys aren't wearing them here as they do in Georgia....yet. (shudder)
Peace,
John

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

John you ho, I sent you an email and you just ignore it!!!!!!! I am very disappointed because I must speak with you and I hate just calling out of the blue ssssssooooooo I know you have internet, I know you have email. this is my email
Santilou@gmail.com, email me or suffer my wrath!
_Louie

11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh and by the way, there are boys wearing the furry parkas, yes I have seen it with my own eyes, then proceeded to roll them.
_Louie

3:46 PM  
Blogger Negative Bad said...

OH. MY. GOD.

I'm so glad you're okay. I mean, yeah, I guess the two of us didn't really get along too well, but I still care about anyone I've encountered, especially old teachers. I saw the whole thing aboput Georgia being occupied on the News, and I remembered that the last time I saw you, you were heading for there. I thought to myself "Oh god, I hope John's okay!" And I remembered that you had a blog, where you'd be updating various things about living in Georgia. The problem was I COULDN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER WHAT THE NAME OF IT WAS. I remembered It had something to do with carpets, so I typed in random stuff like "Some carpet guy's escapade to Georgia," or "John Bento goes to Georgia to buy a Carpet." or "Magic Carpet ride to Georgia to go get stuff for Peace Corps." And then I was like OH WAIT A MINUTE. A CARPETBAGGER'S JOURNEY TO GEORGIA. THAT'S IT!

I'm glad you're okay. :)

~Rachel Jackson

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home